Turn2Me, a national mental health charity, has published 7 tips on dealing with exam stress,
on its website, ahead of the upcoming Leaving Cert. The charity said that these last few days
before the leaving cert are crucial for students to prepare to perform to the best of their
abilities but emphasised that this can only be done when they also take care of their mental
“When you don’t take care of your mental health as you prepare for a stressful period, it’s
like trying to start a car without fuel,” Fiona O’Malley, CEO of Turn2Me said, “Good mental
health practices and good study practices need to work in tandem, hand-in-glove.
Procrastinating is no good and pushing yourself to breaking point is no good either. Students
need to use the time they have left before the Leaving Cert wisely, and this means
incorporating good mental health practices into their study routine.”
Turn2Me’s 7 tips on dealing with exam stress include:
1) Create a study timetable and sticking to it. Things seem less daunting when you have
a plan in place. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
2) Take regular breaks. The brain works better when you take a five-minute break every
hour, and you also retain more information.
3) Write revision notes and use ‘Brainscape’ – a free flashcards learning app. This is a
quick and fun way to learn and revise the material you already know, so that it
comes back to you in the exams.
4) Stay hydrated and eat healthy foods.
5) Deep breathing. Inhale for a count of 2-4 seconds, hold for 4-6 seconds, and exhale
for 4-6 seconds. Find a combination that works for you but try to exhale longer than
6) Go for a jog or a walk in the morning to wake the body and mind up. Do yoga or
stretching in the evenings to improve sleep quality.
7) Students and parents who are feeling overwhelmed or stressed about the Leaving
Cert should join the Turn2Me free online support groups.
The Turn2Me Leaving Cert Students support group will run on Wednesdays at 6pm, and the
Turn2Me Leaving Cert Parents support group will run on Thursdays at 6pm. To sign up, go to